The importance of understanding the provisions of the lease and how they interact with the lockout laws, as well as strict compliance with the law itself, cannot be overstated. In the world of commercial leases, things do not get much more aggressive or urgent than when a landlord locks a tenant out of its leased space.Read more
Our lawyers have significant experience addressing coverage and extra-contractual issues under a wide variety of policies. In addition to commercial general liability policies, we have litigated, or counseled clients in litigation, concerning property, professional liability, E&O, D&O, builder’s risk, business auto, EL, and other specialty policies. Our firm has dealt with all layers of coverage, including their interplay in complex, multi-carrier, multi-policy year cases and analysis of complex risk management programs.
Cain & Skarnulis has a breadth of industry knowledge, including:
- Prosecution, defense, and coverage counseling of wrongful death, serious bodily injury, and catastrophic property loss claims implicating disputed liability coverage under CGL, BAP, UIM, and excess/umbrella policies.
- Representation of and coverage counseling of clients in complex construction defect litigation where additional insured coverage and indemnity/risk transfer issues play a key role in the ultimate resolution.
- Prosecution and defense of suits for wrongful failure to settle within available policy limits under liability policies ( and “bad faith” suits).
- Prosecution and defense of allocation claims among carriers in the context of underlying defense and indemnity claims between insureds involving primary and excess policies.
- Defense of E&O and D&O claims for shareholder litigation, fiduciary liability, and other claims. Although we are not an “insurance defense” firm, we explore coverage for our clients and then work closely with their carriers to manage litigation.
- Representation of clients in reinsurance disputes, including facultative or treaty reinsurance, commutations, bordereaux reporting, the “follow the fortunes” doctrine, ceding commissions, and liability for EC damages.
- Representation of clients in complex disputes involving county mutuals, managing general agencies, and brokers and intermediaries, including successful representations in multiple agency cases.
- Advising clients on drafting contractual provisions regarding insurance and indemnity which seek to transfer risk.