The firm has a number of active cases defending high-profile Dram Shop and premises liability cases, and will continue to defend restaurants, bars, and hotels in challenging litigation.
Steve Skarnulis owned and managed restaurants and nightclubs long before he went to law school. He knows the hospitality industry well, having worked in small and large companies in a variety of capacities. Some recent cases the firm has handled:
- The firm has advised and defended restaurants on Federal Fair Labor Standards Act claims for alleged improper pooling of tips.
- The firm has counseled startup restaurants entering the Austin market, dealing with business organization, permitting, zoning issues, and licensing.
- The firm has litigated a number of cases in the industry, including:
- Defending claims for violation of franchise agreements and tortious interference with contractual rights in extended litigation conducted in four courts in Atlanta, Georgia and the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
- Prosecuting claims regarding software problems with hospitality management systems.
The recent litigation over whether Cy-Fair ISD can require its staff to attend in-person professional development on campus prior to the start of the school year provides an opportunity for a refresher on satisfying the requirements for injunctive relief, mandamus relief, standing, and the waiver of governmental immunity.