The importance of understanding the provisions of the lease and how they interact with the lockout laws, as well as strict compliance with the law itself, cannot be overstated. In the world of commercial leases, things do not get much more aggressive or urgent than when a landlord locks a tenant out of its leased space.Read more
The firm has a number of active cases defending high-profile Dram Shop and premises liability cases, and will continue to defend restaurants, bars, and hotels in challenging litigation.
Steve Skarnulis owned and managed restaurants and nightclubs long before he went to law school. He knows the hospitality industry well, having worked in small and large companies in a variety of capacities. Some recent cases the firm has handled:
- The firm has advised and defended restaurants on Federal Fair Labor Standards Act claims for alleged improper pooling of tips.
- The firm has counseled startup restaurants entering the Austin market, dealing with business organization, permitting, zoning issues, and licensing.
- The firm has litigated a number of cases in the industry, including:
- Defending claims for violation of franchise agreements and tortious interference with contractual rights in extended litigation conducted in four courts in Atlanta, Georgia and the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
- Prosecuting claims regarding software problems with hospitality management systems.